The Painter's Daughters by Emily Howes


 It is amazing how Emily Howes writes about two sisters who are so extraordinarily different. She uses words that make the girls come alive. I am overjoyed to see a Historical Fiction written about Thomas Gainsborough. I remember everyday seeing a painting of The Blue Boy. It hung over a staircase in my elementary school. I have to admit my heart pittered and pattered reading these were the daughters of Thomas Gainsborough. I feel as though Peg might shadow Meg all of their lives. It is astounding how two siblings can enter the world from the same parents and end up completely different. One might mirror the father and one might skip along and resemble a fourth cousin. Who knows? it is a paradox. One so special large tomes are written about the DNA trail. 

Sadly, Meg's mind is confused. She seems like a blind child. Perhaps, it is the blank stare that causes this feeling.  I am not sure whether Meg's mother just sees Meg as a disobedient child. Perhaps, she does know something is seriously wrong.  With horrors she speaks of Bedlam. I am sure Mr. Gainsborough has detected it as more than just play. The one who really knows and is keeping Meg safe is Peg. Peg is mother and sister. Family dynamics take a lifetime to explore. Thankfully, authors like Emily Howes starts us on the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fairytale of New York by Zor Folbigg

Sherlock Holmes and the Legend of the Great Auk by Linda Stratmann

In From The Cold by Sarah Bennett