The Lost Dresses by M.A. McLaughlin



 Anything or anyone who leaves us forever never leaves without leaving something or someone behind.   In this instance, it is three dresses. These dresses belong to the genius Christina Rossetti. A lady from Boston, Marianne,  has traveled to Italy to research these garments. They were found in a small hidden room. So delicate you must wear gloves to touch them. From the Nineteenth Century to the Twentieth Century  the dresses have traveled. From Boston to Italy, there is a life of unknowns to uncover and to discover.

 Time is in motion. It moves without us. It is in control of us. When my mother died, I rushed home. My sister and I went straight to my Mother's bedroom. to talk, catch up. Sitting in my Mother's rocker, my eyes landed on the closet door. Her daily house dresses hung there. I felt a chill. She was in the bedroom. She was over at the closet choosing that day's dress At that moment, I did not feel her death. I felt her life again. Pieces of clothing are sewn into quilts: prom dresses, ties, cumberbunds, jeans,aprons, a nurse's cap  a Sunday go to meeting dress or a baby's christening dress. None of these are old rags. They are our lives. They tell our secrets.

I am dying for Marianne, M.A. Mclaughlin to tell Christina Rossetti's private and public life. I only have read  a few pages and my skin is tingling to travel back to the Victorian Age. I will travel back home more cautious. Caring about what is thought of as throwaway. Because some where a woman or man is not fully gone. They are in a locket, a watch, in a pair of shoes, in a peacock pin. I would love to read more books like The Lost Dresses. I am humbly and blissfully in Italy. By the way, did Christina Rossetti  have a small waist or one that showed her love for Italian food? Where did her thoughts wander? Where are those dresses now?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fairytale of New York by Zor Folbigg

Sherlock Holmes and the Legend of the Great Auk by Linda Stratmann

In From The Cold by Sarah Bennett